Sunday 4 September 2016

PIDP 3260 - Ethics in Adult Classrooms

I found this article on EricDigests.org that talks about Ethics in Adult Classrooms. It essentially summarises the basics of how to be open and positive in the classroom, while understanding that everyone will come from their own background.

For example, it encompasses questions like 'Do I respect everyone I'm teaching?', and 'Have I given enough attention to my own reflection in this practice?' It addresses ethical and moral dilemmas as well.

However, when it comes to teaching computer literacy, is there really a code of ethics? I mean, I'm sure there is when it comes to each individualised educational institution, but what about a personal code of ethics? The educational institution has the code to protect itself and its stakes from liability, but there should be a code for instructors as well.

Personally, I'd aim to be open and tolerant with all my learners. Computer literacy combines psycho-motor skills with a highly cognitive and emotional learning sequence. It stimulates many parts of the mind, which in turn can create anxiety, fear, and unwillingness to learn.

That said, I've yet to see a great example of a code of ethics when it comes to computer literacy as of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment